Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 1

The first week of school went great. My students are wonderful. Riverview High School is really big consisting of about 2,800 students. It has 7 buildings on their campus and it is really pretty. Their courtyard is really big with a lot of palm trees, along with the rest of Sarasota. It is so beautiful here and the weather is great, I have almost forgotten what snow is. :)

As for my students, I mainly have IB students, which is International Baccalaureate. IB sets up a program for students to take their education beyond the general learning system. Their program is more challenging and rigorous to their learning. My IB students are very focused on their artwork and constantly work diligently creating an advanced body of work.

I also have AP, Pre-IB, and senior students. Both AP and Pre-IB students have been very good for me. I have enjoyed working and getting to know them this week. I would have to say my seniors have probably been the most challenging. Considering their last year is coming to an end soon, keeping them on task is an everyday chore. At the end of the day though, they have something to show me.

I really enjoy working with my mentor teacher. I feel that share the same teacher styles. While being a little more laid back, she always has control of her students and easily keeps them working. She also has a great rapport with the students. Someone is always visiting her and excited to show her their work. Something she does that I have really taken a liking to is the upkeep of sketchbooks. Although I kept a sketchbook throughout high school, it was not nearly as elaborate as what her students do. This has actually inspired me to start keeping my own sketchbook again. I am really looking forward to my next five weeks working with her and the students. It has already been a learning experience this first week.

No comments:

Post a Comment